When most people hear the words “Home Health Care” and “In-Home Care,” they assume those services are the same but as it turns out, there are some important differences.
Where Do You Begin?
Facing the fact that a family member needs an extended amount of care can often be daunting for many families. Coupled with the emotion of making important decisions daily, there is often a lack of clarity on the different types of care that are available to you or your loved ones.
Which type of care is best for your loved one?
What is the most realistic option, and affordable option for your family?
Answering these questions isn’t always easy, but in order to decide on the best option, it’s important to look at the most common forms of care.
One of the best decisions to start with is choosing between Home Health Care and In-Home Care. Deciding on one of these options first can greatly help you to begin the necessary planning ahead and unwanted headaches.
What’s The Difference Between In-Home Care vs. Home Health Care?
In-Home Care Is Administered By Someone Who Isn’t In A Professional Medical Field
This type of care is either often done by someone in the family, a trusted individual or in many cases, a friendly and compassionate Home Care Assistant or Certified Care-Aide. The individual assisting will help with the day-to-day tasks and activities that your loved one is used to, but can’t necessarily do on their own.
Types of assistance potentially covered:
- Hygiene Maintenance
- Mobility Assistance
- Laundry & Linens
- Home Safety Maintenance
- Appointments & Errands Assistance
Home Health Care Is Administered By A Professional Medical Worker
Requiring written consent from a physician, this kind of care is essentially private hospital care within a home which usually requires around-the-clock assistance. It can be a less expensive option when compared to those of most extended care facilities, but more expensive than typical In-Home Care service because in most of these cases a registered nurse attends to the individual, resulting in higher hourly or 24 Hour Care charge. However, a Certified Care-Aide can perform and assist in the listed instances if the degree of care is minimal, and at the same rate as In-Home Care.
Types of assistance potentially covered:
- Medication Management
- Case Management
- Pain Management
- Chronic Disease Management
- Physical Therapy
- Post Surgery Care
Are They Always Completely Separate, or Work Together?
Despite how different they may seem, both In-Home Care and Home Health Care often meet on common ground when it comes to the specific services provided.
In-Home Care-Aides will consult with doctors or nurses when a change in physical routine is needed, or specific medication needs to be adjusted. Communication between both the Care-Aide and the medical professional is paramount. It’s up to the Care-Aide to relay any important information to the agency, family, and doctor and give updates on progress being made daily. The family is always involved with communication and plays an integral part of an individual’s overall well-being and road to recovery.
Why Choose Loving Home Care Services
Did you know as of 2016 there are 460 home health providers and franchises operating in B.C. with just under 20 staff? Don't let yourself or a loved one make a choice that may do more harm than good. Instead, choose an A+ BBB Accredited, Industry-Recognized Care Provider with over 130 Trained and Certified, Highly Experienced Care Staff ready to meet your care needs today.
- We offer a full spectrum of home health care services ranging from part-time to full-time around-the-clock care in all three levels of care.
- We are available 24/7/365 with compassionate and trusted Home Care Assistants and Certified Care-Aides so you or your family member will never feel alone or be without care.
- We provide ongoing training and support for all staff and provide access to continuing education programs.
- All staff is bonded, insured and thoroughly pre-screened and we assign a wonderful match the first time 99% of the time.
- We carry a $5 million professional liability policy and a business liability policy covering you and your family.
- We carry affordable, competitive rates while compensating staff fairly and above industry average.
- We take care of WCB, CPP, E.I, and all applicable payroll taxes and submit electronically bi-weekly to the CRA.
- We focus on delivering relationship-based home care centred around the personalized needs of the client and family.
Learn more about our Premier Home Health Care Services. Call us today at 604.926.8403
Take a look at our Level I, III and III Care Services to learn more.
We work extremely diligently with clients and families to put together the right care package of services required to assist individuals where they need it the most. We will work with you step-by-step, answering any questions or concerns you may have. We won't stop working for you until you are fully satisfied with our services.