If you hire a Home Care Assistant or a Care-Aide directly to save money, the individual is really an employee. That exposes you to all expenses, liabilities, and risks of having an employee. Including but not limited to, the work hours you specify, the dates you specify, the directions of care you specify and the use of your home and equipment (e.g., dishwasher, washer & dryer, vacuum, kitchen, and household equipment to just name a few) make the individual legally your employee.
Before we dive in, we suggest that you use the same due diligence and research in evaluating a home support agency just as you would with any other professionals providing a service. Ask community groups and local recreational centers for referrals, or ask friends and family for their recommendations. Google Reviews and Facebook Reviews are also a great source. Senior centers host a variety of information for seniors and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
A professional and reputable agency will always do an assessment prior to providing a service and will create an open dialogue with a client and the family members to monitor care and address any topics.
Read below to understand the risks involved when looking to hire private home care assistants or care-aide either privately, or through an agency like Loving Home Care Services.
Private Home Care Is An Important Decision
When you’re deciding on how to care for your loved ones, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is who you will hire to assist with Home Support, Personal Care, Companion Care, administer medications, and more. Home Care Assistants or Care-Aides often become a significant part of daily life for a senior and often become a part of their family. That’s why you should have all the important information available before deciding whether to hire private home care through Loving Home Care Services or to hire care and compensate ‘under-the-table’.
With that in mind, Loving Home Care Services is an approved service provider of; Veteran Affairs Canada, WorkSafe BC, I.C.B.C., The Public Guardian and Trustee of BC, Vancouver Coastal Health, Lions Gate Hospital, Greater Vancouver Hospital, St. Pauls Hospital, and many private POA’s, trustees, and bank institutions. Our 25 years of commitment to better the lives of seniors through private home care services speaks for itself with our entrusted affiliates.
Liability Differences For Private & Agency Care-Aides
One of the most significant differences between hiring care privately versus hiring care through an agency like Loving Home Care Services is the liability issues you may face. When you hire care privately, such as a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide without an agency, that individual becomes your employee exposing you to all of the liabilities, risks, and expenses associated with having a full-time or part-time employee.
If you hire home care privately:
- You are liable for damages if the employee is injured on the job unless you have worker’s compensation insurance.
- You will have to withhold applicable taxes, CPP and E.I. from your employee’s income.
- You are responsible for submitting these deductions to Revenue Canada.
- You are responsible for issuing Records of Employment, and T4 Statements.
- You are responsible to register as an employer with B.C.’s Workplace Safety Insurance to ensure fee coverage.
- You are responsible to ensure that your employee is provided with protection with respect to hours of work, protected breaks, statutory holiday pay, vacation pay, personal emergency leave and other complex considerations under Employment Standards.
- You are responsible for ensuring your employee isn’t disturbed on their time-off, and that they are not working outside of their contracted hours of work.
- You are responsible to schedule shifts and to create a care plan for the employee to follow.
- You are responsible to replace the employee in the case they do not show up for the shift, quit with or without notice, complaints, sudden family emergencies, vacation, and more.
- Your insurance may not cover losses in the event that the employee takes valuables from your home.
- Your insurance may not compensate you if the employee provides poor care.
- Simply put, your household insurance is not enough.
Conversely, if you hire through Loving Home Care Services, we will take care of all of these issues and absolutely worry-free. Instead of being your employee, the Home Care Assitant or Care-Aide is an employee of our agency. We cover worker’s compensation insurance for you so a caregiver from our agency cannot hold you liable for any personal expenses incurred from injuries on the job. We also take care of withholding all applicable taxes from our employee’s paycheck, and we thoroughly pre-screen all of our applicants before the individual is hired and placed with a client. In the very rare event that something occurs, our premium $5 million dollar liability insurance will cover you. Our premium insurance also provides compensation to clients for injuries resulting from poor caregiving. We are extremely happy to tell you that we have never encountered this incident!
While hiring a privately can sometimes appear to be the cheaper and easier option, the extra expenses, uncertainty and hassle of having someone work as your employee often cancel out the potential savings. Hiring a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide through a trusted and highly reputable agency like Loving Home Care Services will help you avoid the hassle if anything was to go wrong, and our premium insurance will cover you financially.
25 Year Home Care Service Expertise
Loving Home Care Services has 25 years of experience providing home care assistance and home health care services in the North Shore and Greater Vancouver area. We pride ourselves on helping seniors continue to live comfortably in their own homes while providing the highest quality of home health care services in a safe, dignified and respectable manner.
Unlike with the unknowns of hiring a private Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide, you can trust that all of our staff are pre-screened, licensed, bonded and have passed thorough background checks. We help you customize the care to your desires and needs, and we ensure we will find a wonderful Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide who matches your lifestyle.
Why Choose Loving Home Care Services
Did you know as of 2016 there are 460 home health providers and franchises operating in B.C. with just under 20 staff? Don't let yourself or a loved one make a choice that may do more harm than good. Instead, choose an A+ BBB Accredited, Industry-Recognized Care Provider with over 130 Trained and Certified, Highly Experienced Care Staff ready to meet your care needs today.
- We offer a full spectrum of home health care services ranging from part-time to full-time around-the-clock care in all three levels of care.
- We are available 24/7/365 with compassionate and trusted Home Care Assistants and Certified Care-Aides so you or your family member will never feel alone or be without care.
- We provide ongoing training and support for all staff and provide access to continuing education programs.
- All staff is bonded, insured and thoroughly pre-screened and we assign a wonderful match the first time 99% of the time.
- We carry a $5 million professional liability policy and a business liability policy covering you and your family.
- We carry affordable, competitive rates while compensating staff fairly and above industry average.
- We take care of WCB, CPP, E.I, and all applicable payroll taxes and submit electronically bi-weekly to the CRA.
- We focus on delivering relationship-based home care centred around the personalized needs of the client and family.
Learn more about our Premier Home Health Care Services. Call us today at 604.926.8403
Take a look at our Level I, III and III Care Services to learn more.
We work extremely diligently with clients and families to put together the right care package of services required to assist individuals where they need it the most. We will work with you step-by-step, answering any questions or concerns you may have. We won't stop working for you until you are fully satisfied with our services.